Arnold Morris House

The Arnold Morris House was designated as a Registered Heritage Structure in October of 1998. Construction of this house began in 1904 and was completed in 1909.

Built by a Mr. Colson (Olson) of Sandy Point and by the original owner, James Morris, who came to St. George's with his brothers, Philip and John. This site is noted for its ties to the fishery which was the basis of the early economy of the area. While the plan of the house is essentially Georgian, the interior is quite Victorian.

K’Taqmkuk Mi’kmaw Historic Museum

St. George’s is an area rich with Mi’kmaq history. Mi’kmaq occupation of the area known as “Seal Rocks” has been documented as early as the 1700’s. Seal Rocks was the largest Mi’kmaq settlement on the West Coast of Newfoundland. It was established in 1804 as permanent settlement for the Mi’kmaq of Newfoundland and for the resettlement of the Mi’kmaq from Nova Scotia.

To celebrate this rich culture, the local historic court house has been renovated to house a cultural museum and interpretation center.

Newfoundland T'Railway

883 kilometres of abandoned railbed provide the basis for a recreational trail link called the Newfoundland T'Railway between Port aux Basques and the city of St. John's. This trail link runs through the town of St. George's.

In 1988, the railway line running across the Island of Newfoundland was abandoned. Across North America, thousands of kilometres of railroad have been decommissioned over the past three decades. The roar of diesel locomotives is being replaced by the sounds of hikers, bicyclists, ATVers, cross-country skiers, horseback riders and snowmobilers - people of all ages and many different interests escaping the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church

St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church was designated as a Registered Heritage Structure in March 2000. Located on a rise of land with a sweeping view of greater St. George's, the classical design of the church makes it a major landmark.

The church is surmounted by a clock steeple. The clock is connected to a bell which tolls every hour on the hour. The inscription on the bell reads "Dedicated to Saint Joseph. Made for the St. George's Cathedral Newfoundland".

Sunset Trail

This scenic trail system runs along the shore of Flat Bay from Turf Point to Man O’War Cove.

You'll find that Sunset Trail is an excellent area for both recreation and discovery.

(Photo courtesy of JM Smith.)